The name Puliakulam has two versions about its orgin :
When the tank, now called ‘Amman Kulam’, was constructed in 1432 the area was covered by Tamarind trees and hence they had to be cleared. Hence the village that sprang near the new tank might have been called Puliankulam. (Pulli = Tamarind)
Before 1432, the area was covered with a thick forest and a tiger was roaming there and thus came to be known as Puli (Tiger) + Kulam = Puliakulam. Whatever be the origin the village it must have sprung up only after the Tank was constructed since it was the people of Saveriarpalayam who remonstrated. If Puliakulam were in existence, they would-have objected!
About the origin of Christianity of Puliakulam :
One thing can be surmised, that the Pallars were not the original inhabitants, because: If they were there, the village would have been called as "Pallapalayam" (not Puliakulam), as it was wide-spread custom in those days. Either the Pallars from Perur area might have come and settled down here (of course not yet baptized) or more probably, they must have belonged to the Pandiyan garrison when Coimbatore fort was built during Madura Nayakar’s time, when the Poligar system (Pallayakarar) was instituted and Coimbatore became the important capital for 30 Palayams of Coimbatore region. Thirumalai Nayakar sent garrisons from Madurai, to guard the forts of Coimbatore and of Sathiyamangalam. Hence the fort must have been built about the middle of the century, either by Vishvanatha Naick, (1529-1564) or more probably by Krishnappan Nayak (1564 -72)
The playground area, behind the church compound was cleared against great opposition from the unlawful occupants and was fully encircled by compound walls by Fr. M.M. Chinnayan. A new two-storied building was constructed for the High school by Fr. John Joseph who continued the preparatory efforts of Fr. Gurusamy and Fr. P. Irudayam for Ramanathapuram area to be detached from Puliakulam and constructed a new modern church and a Presbytery there It was consecrated by Bishop Ambrose on 16-07-1995
The Main Station
- Distance from the Cathedral Church : 3 K.Ms.
- Total No. of Catholic Families in the Main Station : 2300
- No. of Catholics in the Main Station : 20,000